Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
The season finally came to a conclusion last weekend with the Play-Off Finals. Fulham came out on top with a narrow one-nil victory in the Championship clash with Aston Villa while Rotherham United won the corresponding League One clash against Shrewsbury Town. The Millers needed extra-time to overcome the Shrews two-one thanks to two rare goals from central defender Richard Wood.
With the Millers being the last export from League One this season, the final import comes in the form of Coventry City. The Sky Blues battled out a boring first 45 minutes against Exeter City before taking control of the second half with three goals in the first 23 minutes. The Grecians pulled a goal back in the 89th minute but it was too little too late.
GREEDY AGENT OR GREEDY PLAYER?
Posh had hoped to announce their fifth signing at the end of last week but they came up against an agent with very high demands for his player.
Those demands for Stevenage striker Matt Godden, who Posh had pencilled in as a replacement for Jack Marriott, were simply too much for Posh resulting in all discussions coming to an end.
THE NEXT MICK HALSALL?
Posh did eventually make their fifth signing of the summer by snapping up Lincoln City midfielder Alex Woodyard.
The 25-year-old had a choice of clubs to sign for including Championship side Ipswich Town who came in at the last minute. He agreed a two-year deal at the ABAX Stadium club with the option of a further year.
Many Imps fans are disappointed to see him go and judging by their comments on Twitter and in the words of Posh boss Steve Evans: “I compare him to Mick Halsall. He is a natural leader and he will lead from the front.”
FUN AND GAMES IN TRANSFER NEGOTIATIONS!
Did he turn Posh down or didn’t he? Oh yes he did! Oh no he didn’t!
It sounds a bit Panto and that is exactly what it felt like why Sky Sports News was reporting that Posh had agreed a fee with Colchester United for one of their strikers only to report hours later that the deal had collapsed after the player concerned had turned Posh down.
Michael Madron was the player in question but Posh Chairman Darragh MacAnthony dismissed the report as nonsense but did confirm that Posh had agreed a fee although the players costs/demands deemed is was not worth pursuing any further by Posh.
O’MALLEY ON THE BENCH
Posh goalkeeper Conor O’Malley was an unused substitute in the recent defeat by France. The new Republic of Ireland recruit watched his International colleagues lose two-nil thanks to goals from Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud and Lyon’s attacking midfielder, and Liverpool target, Nabil Fekir.
Ireland have one more match arranged, against the USA, which will be at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Saturday [2nd June]. O’Malley will be hoping to get a chance between the sticks in that match especially after France’s second goal came from a glaring error by keeper Colin Doyle!
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undislosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
- Port Vale have been linked with transfer listed Posh striker Ricky Miller. There again, the Valiants have also been linked to Junior Morias and Brad Inman!
- Another side supposedly interested in Miller is relegated Championship side Burton Albion!! Can’t see that myself though!
- If Morias doesn’t move to Vale, he could be heading back to north London but with Barnet.
- Idris Kanu is heading out to an unnamed League Two side next season on loan.
- Salford City have registered an interest in an unnamed Posh player.
- Could captain Jack become a Hatter? Luton Town are rumoured to be interested in the central defender.
- Nottingham Forest and Derby County are the joint favourites to sign Marcus Maddison, according to odds given out by bookmakers Bet Victor. Aston Villa and Birmingham City are next favourites with odds slipping on him to sign for Leeds United.
- Despite being on the retained list, it appears Posh would be willing to let Joe Ward move with one unnamed League Two club interested, plus Barnet and Leyton Orient although neither have significant funds!
- Could Posh be interested in Sheffield United defender Jake Wright? He’s on the wrong side of 30 but his name has been mentioned a few times in recent days.
LEAGUE ONE ROUND-UP
- Having missed out on automatic promotion and then losing in the Play-Off Final, Shrewsbury Town have now lost their manager! Paul Hurst has signed a three-year contract at Championship side Ipswich Town.
- The Shrews have acted quickly though by appointing John Askey who was the boss of National League champions Macclesfield.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.