Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
Pre-season is in full swing with all teams now back in training with a number of matches having been played already including one by Posh.
RELEASE CLAUSE ACTIVATED!
The release clause for midfielder Marcus Maddison has finally been triggered!
Since being placed on the transfer list, it has widely been expected that Maddison would depart the club this summer but it has taken until the first week of July to finally get some movement.
Not one but two Championship clubs have now made their move but it’s not certain that Posh will accept the bids as the clause stipulated how the payment should be paid. So far, neither club have offered payment terms that match the clause so in essence, Posh could reject the bids!
There will likely be more negotiations going on over the payment terms so Posh could accept a smaller upfront payment as they wouldn’t want another “Tomlin” situation if it all falls through!
THREE IN, ONE OUT OF THE ABAX DOORS
Posh said farewell to player number eleven while welcoming their tenth, eleventh and twelfth new players into the club this week.
Midfielder Brad Inman had his contract cancelled just days after Darragh MacAnthony tweeted that the player had turned down a move. It was then a shock to find that he had then joined the club he was rumoured to have turned down! Whatever happened, Inman had been a big disappointment since his arrival at the club and spent last season on loan at his new club Rochdale.
The first player coming in through the revolving doors was Adam King from Championship side Swansea City. King signed on loan, initially until 19th January 2019, and will compete with the other newcomers Alex Woodyard, Mark O’Hara and Louis Reed for the two central midfield places.
The other two players arriving are defenders. Left-back Tyler Denton has arrived on a season-long loan from Swansea City with Josh Yorwerth arriving on a three-year contract after Posh agreed a 6-figure undisclosed fee with Crawley Town.
POSH EASE TO VICTORY IN OPENING PRE-SEASON MATCH
Posh eased to a comfortable 5-1 victory over Stamford on Wednesday evening in their first pre-season match. Two different sides played 45 minutes each and although the opposition wasn’t the strongest, it enabled most of the squad to blow the cobwebs away.
New signing Siriki Dembele showed Posh fans what he is capable of after just five minutes when opening the scoring. Alex Woodyard and Mark O’Hara linked up well in central midfield with the whole of the defence looking strong with only Rhys Bennett looking shaky on the odd occasion.
Posh dominated both halves but it was the only in the second half that they converted their dominance into goals. Youngster Matty Stevens capitalised on a goalkeeper error to slot the ball into the empty net to double the advantage. The Daniels did pull a goal back from the penalty spot after a clumsy challenge by a defensive trialist.
Further goals from George Cooper, a second for Stevens and Joe Ward wrapped up the convincing win.
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undisclosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Matt Godden – Forward – Stevenage – Undisclosed (Rumoured £400,000)
Jason Naismith – Right Back – Ross County – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Louis Reed – Midfielder – Sheffield United – Undisclosed
Siriki Dembele – Winger/Forward – Grimsby Town – Undisclosed
Adam King – Midfield – Swansea City – 6-month Loan
Tyler Denton – Left-Back – Leeds United – Season-long Loan
Josh Yorwerth – Central Defender – Crawley Town – Undisclosed (6-figures)
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
Leo Da Silva Lopes – Wigan Athletic – Undisclosed (Rumoured £1,000,000 + add-ons)
Chris Forrester – Aberdeen – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Alex Penny – Hamilton Academical – Undisclosed
Andrew Hughes – Preston North End – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Ricky Miller – Port Vale – Undisclosed
Adil Nabi – Mutual Consent
Liam Shephard – Forest Green Rovers – Undisclosed
Idris Kanu – Port Vale – Season Loan
Brad Inman – Rochdale – Free Transfer
The following are the confirmed pre-season friendlies that have been announced so far…
|Peterborough United Fixtures|
|Wed, 4th July||19:30||Stamford||1 v 5||Posh|
|Sat, 7th July||12:30||Bedford Town||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||19:30||Peterborough Sports||v||Posh|
|Sat, 14th July||15:00||St Neots||v||Posh|
|Wed, 18th July||10:00||CS Maritimo||v||Posh|
|Sat, 21st July||11:00||Louletano||v||Posh|
|Sat, 28th July||15:00||Posh||v||Bolton Wanderers|
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
- Posh will unveil their new kit tomorrow. The event will take place between 10am until 3pm with plenty of fun for all the family at the ABAX Stadium. There will be entertainment, refreshments and much more in the fan zone including the chance to meet a number of members of the Posh squad. From 11am until 12pm, goalkeeper Aaron Chapman and right-back Jason Naismith will be present and from 12pm until 1pm, Alex Woodyard and Matty Godden will be in attendance. Louis Reed and Mark O’Hara will be there from 1pm until 2pm while manager Steve Evans will also be in attendance in the morning to meet supporters and pose for pictures.;
- New members of the backroom staff have been announced by Posh;
- Gloucestershire Live have reported that Posh have made a first bid for Cheltenham Town forward Mo Eisa;
NON-POSH FOOTIE RELATED ROUND-UP
- Bolton Wanderers, who provide Posh with their only home pre-season match, are boycotting today’s friendly against St Mirren because of unpaid wages and bonuses!
- Rochdale chief executive Russ Green has been suspended from “all football-related activity” until 30 June 2019! Green admitted three breaches of Football Association rules relating to “incidents of misconduct in intermediary activity”. The charges relate to the period when Green was CEO of Hartlepool United, and he has also been fined £10,000.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.