Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
POSH DUO HEAD NORTH OF THE BORDER
Two players placed on the transfer list at the end of the season have this week agreed deals with Scottish Premier League sides.
Former captain Chris Forrester has joined SPL runners-up Aberdeen on a three-year deal. Although the fee was announced as “undisclosed” as they usually are these days, it has been reported that the fee was in the region of £200,000. Sadly, that is a lot less than Posh may have made had they sold him after his excellent performance against Chelsea just over a year ago in the FA Cup!
The second player was right-back Alex Penny. Penny only signed for Posh last July and made just 11 appearances for the club while ending the season with a cast around his ankle (again)! The former Welsh youth international has agreed a two-year deal with the fee also being “undisclosed”!
LEO – THE MILLION POUND LATIC
Midfielder Leo Da Silva Lopes has made a shock move to League One Champions Wigan Athletic for a seven-figure fee!
The teenager was often ridiculed by certain sections of Posh fans even when he did nothing wrong. That must have dented his confidence but it didn’t deflect his ability being noticed by other teams.
He has bags of potential if it is nurtured correctly which sadly, from the outside looking in, wasn’t done very well at Posh once he broke into the first team at the ABAX Stadium. He was often played out of position, which didn’t help his cause, but with a step up to the Championship, he will hopefully be able to display his talents more but he may have to bide his time until he starts playing regularly for the Latics.
POSH SIGN SIXTH PLAYER OF THE SUMMER…EVENTUALLY!
After many thought a deal for Stevenage striker Matt Godden had collapsed, Posh manager Steve Evans managed to resurrect it after phoning the player directly.
With no agent to interfere, that chat inspired Godden to have a re-think about the move to the ABAX Stadium and after a brief chat with his family, he phoned back saying he’d like to sign for us “if we still wanted him”!
The same three-year deal was still on the table that Posh had offered the previous week which he has now signed. The “undisclosed” fee, according to Sky Sports News, is in the region of £400,000.
Godden has taken the long road to professional first-team football, having failed to break through at his first club Scunthorpe United after being hampered by persistent injury. Despite failing to make a true impact at the Iron, Godden made sure to get some experience in “the more physical and demanding” side of football on loan at non-league clubs such as Brigg, Gainsborough, and Tamworth. He eventually signed a two-year deal at Ebbsfleet United for whom he scored 30 goals in 45 appearances during that second year of his contract.
He scored 14 goals in 44 matches in all competitions last season and 35 goals in 87 games since he arrived at the Lamex Stadium on a free transfer.
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undisclosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Matt Godden – Forward – Stevenage – Undisclosed (Rumoured £400,000)
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
Leo Da Silva Lopes – Wigan Athletic – Undisclosed (Rumoured £1,000,000 + add-ons)
Chris Forrester – Aberdeen – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Alex Penny – Hamilton Academical – Undisclosed
Posh announced their first home pre-season match which will take place on Saturday, 28th July. The 3pm kick-off will be against Bolton Wanderers, who narrowly escaped relegation from the Championship last season when scoring twice in the final four minutes of their match against Nottingham Forest to win three-two.
|Peterborough United Fixtures|
|Wed, 4th July||19:30||Stamford||v||Posh|
|Sat, 7th July||15:00||Bedford Town||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||19:30||Peterborough Sports||v||Posh|
|Sat, 14th July||15:00||St Neots||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||15:00||Posh||v||Bolton Wanderers|
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
- Geordie boy Marcus Maddison has an admirer in Sunderland if the Daily Mail are to be believed but he could have a choice of Championship sides as well, including Derby County, although no one has placed an acceptable offer on the table for him yet.
- Reading are confident of finalising a deal for Maddison by the weekend if other rumours are to be believed!
- Jack Marriot is in a similar situation. Barry Fry has confirmed 8 Championship clubs have confirmed an interest in the 30-goal striker but there have been no offers in the region that Posh are after. Fry also confirmed from Portugal that Marriot would favour a move to Nottingham Forest!
- A countless number of League Two and non-league clubs have been linked with unwanted striker Ricky Miller.
- AFC Wimbledon striker Lyle Taylor has now been linked with a move to Posh. According to the Daily Mail, Sunderland, Bristol Rovers, Southend United, Wigan Athletic, Burton Albion and Ipswich Town are also rumoured to have declared an interest in signing him on a free transfer!
- More and more rumours are circling that Junior Morias is about to sign for Port Vale.
- Midfielder Brad Inman is in demand from fellow League One sides Walsall, Scunthorpe United and Coventry City!
- Could Posh be interested in Sheffield United’s 20-year-old transfer listed Louis Reed? If so, would he be part of a player plus cash for Jack Marriott or would it just be a simple transfer? Reed spent all of last season on loan at Chesterfield making over 40 appearances for the side that finished bottom of League Two!
LEAGUE ONE ROUND-UP
- Although not in League One anymore, Oldham Athletic have sacked manager Richie Wellens following their relegation.
- Former Cambridge United boss Shaun Derry has popped up in League One as the new first-team coach for Oxford United. Derry, 40, was sacked by Cambridge in February.
- Grant McCann has missed out on the Barnsley job after ex-Hannover 96 boss Daniel Stendel was named as their new head coach.
- Another former Posh boss, Darren Ferguson, has parted company with Doncaster Rovers. After winning promotion in 2017, Rovers finished 15th last season but “after recent discussions with the board”, Fergie decided to resign from his post.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.