Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
After signing six players very quickly following the end of the season, it’s been a very quiet week on the football front at the ABAX Stadium this week.
POSH CAPTURE THEIR SEVENTH PRE-SEASON SIGNING
The Posh management had almost given up on their first choice right-back target but in a sudden twist, they managed to capture their man from under the noses of more illustrious clubs.
Relegated Championship sides Sunderland and Burton Albion along with Scottish Premier League runners-up Aberdeen had all, apparently, submitted bids for Ross County full-back Jason Naismith, although this has since been denied by the new Black Cats owner! Posh Director of Football, Barry Fry, has counter-claimed that denial!
Despite suffering relegation from the SPL, the 23-year-old has been described as the third best right-back in the SPL last season and a future Scotland International!
Naismith has signed a three-year contract at the ABAX Stadium and will now compete with Liam Shephard for the right-back position.
AWAY DRAW IN CARABAO CUP
The first round of the Carabao Cup took place on Friday morning in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam!
All the teams were split into either a northern section or a southern section with Posh being placed in the southern pot.
After receiving a home fixture against League Two opposition last season, Posh have an away fixture against Championship side Queens Park Rangers. The fixture will take place at Loftus Road during the week commencing 13th August.
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undisclosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Matt Godden – Forward – Stevenage – Undisclosed (Rumoured £400,000)
Jason Naismith – Right Back – Ross County – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
Leo Da Silva Lopes – Wigan Athletic – Undisclosed (Rumoured £1,000,000 + add-ons)
Chris Forrester – Aberdeen – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Alex Penny – Hamilton Academical – Undisclosed
Posh announced their first home pre-season match which will take place on Saturday, 28th July. The 3 pm kick-off will be against Bolton Wanderers, who narrowly escaped relegation from the Championship last season when scoring twice in the final four minutes of their match against Nottingham Forest to win three-two.
|Peterborough United Fixtures|
|Wed, 4th July||19:30||Stamford||v||Posh|
|Sat, 7th July||15:00||Bedford Town||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||19:30||Peterborough Sports||v||Posh|
|Sat, 14th July||15:00||St Neots||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||15:00||Posh||v||Bolton Wanderers|
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
- Rival League One side Portsmouth are interested in signing midfield general Anthony Grant. They’re not the only ones though as Shrewsbury Town, Blackpool and Lincoln City are all on the trail of the 31-year-old.
- Junior Morias is in demand with clubs such as Crawley Town, Northampton Town, Stevenage and Port Vale all interested in signing the striker. Darragh MacAnthony has already ruled out Vale as a possible destination but whoever signs him will need to fork out more than £100,000 for the striker!
- Striker Ricky Miller had his day in court during the week where he was found guilty of drink driving for the third time! Instead of a custodial sentence, he was banned from driving for 3 and a half years, fined, and ordered to pay costs amongst other things.
- Despite Barry Fry saying “As soon as his [Miller] court case is over he is expected to leave. A fee has been agreed with a League Two club”, Miller has yet to agree terms with anyone else!
- An Australian and a League Two club are interested in signing veteran central defender Steven Taylor.
- Posh are not interested in out-of-contract AFC Wimbledon striker Lyle Taylor. Other players ruled out by MacAnthony include Darren Bent, James Hanson, Sonny Bradley and Jack Byrne.
- There is still no movement on the Jack Marriott position although Derby County have now been added to the list of clubs interested in the 33-goal striker.
- The potential move to Championship side Reading for midfielder Marcus Maddison has apparently collapsed. The favourite to sign Maddison is now a club “somebody nobody has mentioned” according to MacAnthony.
- Posh will launch their new home kit at the ABAX Stadium on Sunday, 8th July.
NON-POSH FOOTIE RELATED ROUND-UP
- Former Posh loanee Harry Toffolo has signed a two-year contract at League Two side Lincoln City following his release by Millwall.
- On the eve of the opening match of the 2018 World Cup Finals, Spain sacked their coach, Julen Lopetegui, after he was named the new Real Madrid boss!
- Canada, US, and Mexico have been named as co-hosts for the 2026 World Cup Finals!
- Fixtures for the 2018-19 Premier League season were announced on Thursday [14th June]. The stand-out fixture on the opening day of the season is arguably Manchester City’s trip to the Emirates to face an Arsenal side under new manager Unai Emery.
- Having played all their home fixtures at Wembley Stadium last season, Tottenham Hotspur needed to confirm by Friday whether they would need to use the stadium again for any games next season. It is unclear if their new £850m state-of-the-art stadium will be available in time for the start of the new season.
- Former Posh midfielder Erhun Oztumer has left Walsall and signed for Championship side Bolton Wanderers on a free transfer.
- Having snubbed Posh last season, striker Kieffer Moore could be waving farewell to current club Barnsley, who were relegated from the Championship last season. At least four Championship clubs are rumoured to be interested in signing the striker.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.