Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
THE DARRAGH INTERVIEW
Chairman Darragh MacAnthony had an open and honest interview with Phil Adlam out in Portugal where he discussed a variety of things including the latest situation with Jack Marriott and Marcus Maddison, the sales of Andrew Hughes and Danny Lloyd as well as many other topics.
You can watch it here…
FRUSTRATION IN STRIKER HUNT!
Posh have been linked with a host of forwards in recent weeks but as yet, they’ve failed to get a target man. Boss Steve Evans wants a target man to give his side something different to what we’ve been accustomed to in the majority of years MacAnthony has owned the club.
Bradford City’s Charlie Wyke along with Mo Eisa from Cheltenham Town appeared to be the top two strikers on Evans list of “target men” but for one reason or another including wage demands have made these signings a no-go…at least for now.
That situation may change when Jack Marriott finally departs the club…assuming someone finally meets the fee demanded by Posh.
ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN PORTUGAL
Posh faced two Portuguese sides during their week-long training camp and ended up with differing results.
The first match was against top Portuguese side CS Maritimo and despite dominating possession, Posh went down by a single goal. That goal was of Posh’s making after a midfielder slipped and gave away the ball allowing Maritimo to slot the ball home from the edge of the box. You can read the official match report HERE.
The second match was against third tier Portuguese side Louletano. Jack Marriott played his first match of pre-season and it didn’t take him long to find his scoring touch again. A delightful freekick saw the 33-goal striker give Posh the lead but that lead only lasted a minute! Posh edged in front again via Matty Godden scoring his first ever goal in Posh colours. Jack Marriott extended the lead further in the second half from the penalty spot after winning the penalty himself but Louletano pulled a goal back again before Steve Evans changed the entire starting XI. After that, it was Posh that could only find the back of the net; firstly through Louis Reed and then through George Cooper who was selflessly picked out following a good run by Jason Cummings completing a 5-2 scoreline.
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undisclosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Matt Godden – Forward – Stevenage – Undisclosed (Rumoured £400,000)
Jason Naismith – Right Back – Ross County – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Louis Reed – Midfielder – Sheffield United – Undisclosed
Siriki Dembele – Winger/Forward – Grimsby Town – Undisclosed
Adam King – Midfield – Swansea City – 6-month Loan
Tyler Denton – Left-Back – Leeds United – Season-long Loan
Josh Yorwerth – Central Defender – Crawley Town – Undisclosed (6-figures)
Jason Cummings – Forward – Nottingham Forest – Season-long Loan
Isaac Buckley-Ricketts – Winger – Manchester City – Undisclosed
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
Leo Da Silva Lopes – Wigan Athletic – Undisclosed (Rumoured £1,000,000 + add-ons)
Chris Forrester – Aberdeen – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Alex Penny – Hamilton Academical – Undisclosed
Andrew Hughes – Preston North End – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Ricky Miller – Port Vale – Undisclosed
Adil Nabi – Mutual Consent
Liam Shephard – Forest Green Rovers – Undisclosed
Idris Kanu – Port Vale – Season Loan
Brad Inman – Rochdale – Free Transfer
Steven Taylor – Wellington Phoenix – Undisclosed
Junior Morias – Northampton Town – Undisclosed
Gwion Edwards – Ipswich Town – £700,000 plus add-ons (worth around £2 million)
Danny Lloyd – Salford City – Undisclosed
The following are the confirmed pre-season friendlies that have been announced so far…
|Peterborough United Fixtures|
|Wed, 4th July||19:30||Stamford||1 v 5||Posh|
|Sat, 7th July||12:30||Bedford Town||2 v 4||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||19:30||Peterborough Sports||0 v 9||Posh|
|Sat, 14th July||15:00||St Neots||0 v 4||Posh|
|Wed, 18th July||10:00||CS Maritimo||1 v 0||Posh|
|Sat, 21st July||11:00||Louletano||2 v 5||Posh|
|Tue, 24th July||19:30||Gainsborough Trinity||v||Posh|
|Sat, 28th July||15:00||Posh||v||Bolton Wanderers|
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
- Can Matty Stevens grab his chance during pre-season or will he be heading out on loan? ;
- The groups stages of the Checkatrade Trophy have been decided with Posh facing two local(ish) sides and a Premier League Under 21 side;
- Danny Lloyd made the move to non-league side Salford City but has faced a backlash after describing his £80k wages at Posh as “absolutely peanuts“!
- The new Posh away kit has gone on sale this week.
NON-POSH FOOTIE RELATED ROUND-UP
- Fleetwood Town boss Joey Barton has told former Posh midfielder Toumani Diagouraga, aka “Dave”, that he is free to leave the club. Barton feels that the experienced midfielder does not fit his team’s style of play.
- Former Tangerines striker Armand Gnanduillet could be set for a shock return to the Seasiders despite signing for a new club just two months ago! The forward left Blackpool and moved to South African side Baroka FC but he has left the side and is in talks over a return to Blackpool according to the Blackpool Gazette.
- Usain Bolt is on trial at A-League side Central Coast Mariners with a view to signing a one-year contract!
- Former Posh striker Ricky Miller has yet to feature for his new club Port Vale in pre-season. He has an outstanding FA disciplinary issue that needs resolving first which means he could miss the start of the season! Now how familiar is that?
- Former Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Rohan Ince is currently on trial with Charlton Athletic (South London Press)
- Doncaster Rovers are continuing to monitor Bristol City forward Shawn McCoulsky, despite the fact that a heart condition could delay any move! (Yorkshire Post)
- Fresh from signing Gwion Edwards from Posh, Championship side Ipswich Town are keen on a move for another League One player, this time Shrewsbury Town defender Omar Beckles. Should the transfer take place it would see him reunite with former boss Paul Hurst (TWTD)
- Cheltenham Town have already rejected bids for striker Mo Eisa from Posh, Portsmouth and Sunderland but now, a mystery Championship club have entered what could turn out to be a bidding war! (Gloucestershire Live)
- Former Posh trialist Morgan Ferrier is causing problems with his employers Boreham Wood as he seeks to leave the club. His new agent / representative is causing problems with his accusation making Boreham Wood to take legal proceedings against his accusations. You can read all about it HERE.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.
UP THE POSH
Photos courtesy of Joe Dent / www.theposhpics.com