Welcome to the next Posh Weekly of the summer as we look at the latest news coming out of Peterborough United, what their rival teams in League One are up to and general footie news.
It was another quiet week at the ABAX Stadium…at least it was until the end of the week! Posh completed their eighth signing of pre-season at the start of the week but apart from rumours linking Posh with players and other clubs interested in Posh players, nothing concrete happened until two players departed the club and another one joining the club.
BLADES YOUNGSTER MAKES IT SIGNING NUMBER EIGHT
Posh captured their eighth new player of pre-season when paying an undisclosed fee for Louis Reed. The 20-year-old completed his move from Championship side Sheffield United after agreeing terms on a three-year deal.
Reed spent last season on loan at Chesterfield although the League Two outfit finished bottom suffering relegation to the non-league. He was named Player of the Season at the Spireites though.
CHAMPIOSNHIP SIDE SNAP UP ANDREW HUGHES!
We have to say that this was a very big surprise when we heard rumblings that Preston North End had tried multiple times to sign the 26-year-old left-back. He has had two good years at Posh where he has proved himself as a very capable defender both at left-back and as a central defender.
This versatility was one of the factors that caught the eye of the Lilywhites and after they’d sold their regular left-back, they were determined to make Hughes the replacement.
An undisclosed fee, rumoured to be around £200,000 by media in the Lancashire area, was agreed between the clubs before Hughes completed a medical at Deepdale and signing a three-year contract.
MILLER FINALLY DEPARTS THE CLUB
Posh flop Ricky Miller has finally agreed terms with League Tow side Port Vale.
It had been rumoured for a number of weeks that Miller was on his way to Vale once his court case was concluded and after a number of “on-off” allegations, he finally put pen to paper on a three-year contract.
Despite arriving in a blaze of glory following an impressive scoring record at Dover Athletic, he started the season with an 8-match ban which he received for a “biting” incident during his time at Dover. He then struggled to get into a Posh side that had started the season all guns blazing topping the League which resulted in him making just 10 appearances. He also earned more yellow cards, including one for diving minutes into his debut, than he scored goals. He was shipped out on loan to Mansfield Town where he did score a goal…but only the one in nine appearances for the Stags.
CAN EVANS TURN NEW SIGNING INTO A FORWARD?
Posh signed their ninth new player of the summer when agreeing a 6-figure “undisclosed” fee for Grimsby Town’s Siriki Dembele on a three-year contract.
Last season was Dembele’s first in the Football League after being raised in the Dundee United Academy set-up. Following a short time at Nike Football Academy, the Mariners picked up the winger where he made 39 appearances scoring four goals.
However, Evans plans to turn him into a forward as he believes he has all the attributes to make a good striker!
COMINGS AND GOINGS AT THE ABAX STADIUM
Players to have departed or arrived at the club since the end of the season are:
Aaron Chapman – Goalkeeper – Accrington Stanley – Free Transfer
Rhys Bennett – Central Defender – Mansfield Town – Free Transfer
Colin Daniel – Left Back / Wing Back – Blackpool – Free Transfer
Mark O’Hara – Midfielder – Dundee – Training Compensation
Alex Woodyard – Midfielder – Lincoln City – Undisclosed (Rumoured £225,000)
Matt Godden – Forward – Stevenage – Undisclosed (Rumoured £400,000)
Jason Naismith – Right Back – Ross County – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Louis Reed – Midfielder – Sheffield United – Undisclosed
Siriki Dembele – Winger/Forward – Grimsby Town – Undisclosed
Callum Chettle – Released
Michael Doughty – Mutual Consent
Leo Da Silva Lopes – Wigan Athletic – Undisclosed (Rumoured £1,000,000 + add-ons)
Chris Forrester – Aberdeen – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Alex Penny – Hamilton Academical – Undisclosed
Andrew Hughes – Preston North End – Undisclosed (Rumoured £200,000)
Ricky Miller – Port Vale – Undisclosed
The following are the confirmed pre-season friendlies that have been announced so far…
|Peterborough United Fixtures|
|Wed, 4th July||19:30||Stamford||v||Posh|
|Sat, 7th July||15:00||Bedford Town||v||Posh|
|Tue, 10th July||19:30||Peterborough Sports||v||Posh|
|Sat, 14th July||15:00||St Neots||v||Posh|
|Wed, 18th July||10:00||CS Maritimo||v||Posh|
|Sat, 28th July||15:00||Posh||v||Bolton Wanderers|
POSH SNIPPETS AND RUMOURS
There have been a multitude of rumours and snippets of information coming out of the club this week. You can find out what they were HERE.
Other Posh related news are:
- Siriki Dembele’s first interview with the club.
NON-POSH FOOTIE RELATED ROUND-UP
- Bradford City have finally announced their new manager. The Bantams have promoted their under-18s boss Michael Collins to the role of head coach and by doing so, becomes the youngest manager in the top four League in English football.
- The Checkatrade Trophy has yet another new name enter an Under-21 side for the 2018-19 competition. Arsenal are the latest Premier League side to accept an offer to play in the competition which leaves just Manchester United and Liverpool as the two biggest sides yet to enter.
- Former Posh man Lee Tomlin is wanted back at Nottingham Forest. Tomlin spent last season on loan at the City Ground from parent club Cardiff City. It looks like the only way he’ll be back at Forest is on loan and if the Bluebirds pay part of his wages!
- Former Posh midfielder Chris Forrester could get his first experience of European football at his new club when they play in the Europa League. His Aberdeen side have been drawn against Premier League Burnley in the second qualifying round of the competition.
- The sale of Charlton Athletic took a step forward with a group of investors linked to the Australian Football Consortium starting due diligence although “the need to satisfy regulatory complexities” is delaying the takeover.
For all the transfers completed by League One sides, please CLICK HERE.